I’m a Software Engineer engineer with strong skills in development, operations and networking. I hold Exceptional Talent in Digital Technologies awarded by Tech Nation UK in 2020. I can write and maintain code in three programming languages: Go, C++, and Perl. I have a passion for Linux, which I’m able to use at scale on thousands of machines. I have mastered expertise in both distributed service development and network security. I use my skills and experience to address DDoS attacks, which I consider to be one of the most critical global modern day threats.
I am the author of FastNetMon, an open source DDoS detection tool with variety of traffic capture methods: https://github.com/pavel-odintsov/fastnetmon
- Software development
- Community management
Software Developer Team Lead
Software Engineer / Team Lead in the DNS team, in charge of development for our DNS service which works in more than 200 data centres across the Planet and powers more than 25 million sites.
My team built completely new version of Cloudflare DNS service which replaced old DNS pipeline which was unable to scale further after reaching limits on 5 million of zones and ~1M queries per second. At July 2021 we reached 25 million of DNS zones and this systems works well till now.
I lead project to create completely new traffic management system which uses DNS for precise routing of CDN traffic. Our system had full support for modern IPv6 protocol and used all benefits of available address space to improve routing accuracy. Our system reduced HTTPS traffic latency by 25% and addressed network connectivity issues in region.
I led a project to enable network analytics on terabit scale Internet Exchange for threat detection purposes.
CTO, Board member
I was in charge of all technical aspects of this cloud hosting company. I worked on network capacity planning, data centre automation, built hosting management systems based on OpenVZ and KVM, maintained the DNS management system, implemented server orchestration (Puppet), and implemented a monitoring system (Zabbix based). The platform empowers the company’s cloud hosting service and still used by the company today.
I doubled number of company’s locations for cloud service by launching two new datacentres in the US and Russia. These locations have continued to show strong growth and contribute to company’s success. When I left FastVPS in 2016 its turnover had increased from 0.6m Euros in 2011 to 5.7m Euros. FastVPS was in the list of most successful Estonian companies in 2015 and 2016 according to creditinfo.ee.
Technical lead of hosting division
Responsible for all technical aspects for this shared hosting service. I implemented the most critical parts of the hosting management system, introduced new developers into our system and trained support engineers.
Developed a virtual hosting automation solution. Maintained and extended the domain registration system, and maintained servers for hosting service.
- · Network Telemetry for DDoS Detection Applications. UKNOF 46, 2021
- · DDoS Challenges In IPv6 environment. UK IPv6 Council, 2020
- · FastNetMon and DDoS detection. LinkMeUp Podcast, 2020
- · Pavel Odinstov on FastNetMon Use Cases. The Hedge Podcast 16, 2019
- · FastNetMon – An Open-source DDoS Detection Engine. NetLDN, 2019
- · Pavel Odintsov and Fastnetmon. The Hedge Podcast 10, 2019
- · The road to the Ultimate Stub-resolver. DNS OARC 30, 2019
- · Using Open-Source FastNetMon For DDoS Detection. Packet Queue podcast 141, 2018
- · Scaling up: How we made millions of domains happier. DNS OAC 26, 2017
- · Pavel Odintsov talks about challenges of open source projects. SDCast podcast, 2017
- · FastNetMon – Open Source DDoS Mitigation Toolkit. RIPE 71, 2015
- · FastNetMon - Open Source DDoS Detection and Mitigation toolkit. ENOG 9, 2015
- · Linux containers experience in Cloud hosting company. Fedora virtualization days, 2014
- · Containers are the future of the cloud. RockIT, 2013
Diving, Skiing, Travelling